Saturday, January 6, 2007

The Ups and Downs of Fandom in the US

Today provided a perfectly good example of the highs and lows of being a football fan in America. As I have mentioned earlier, I am a follower of Sheffield United, and they played today against Swansea in an FA cup match. The downside of being here in the States is that I didn’t get to see a team I like play. The upside? I didn’t get to see a team I like play. The blades were crushed 3-0, and their showing was described by someone on ESPN Soccernet as “a disjoined performance barely worthy of a top-flight team.” So maybe it’s good that I didn’t see that one.

One the plus side, Phil Jagielka, Chris Morgan and Rob Hulse didn’t play. I can face facts, however: they are going to be in a dogfight over relegation until the bitter end.

No comments: